Friday, June 19, 2009

6 Months... Too many Jobs.






I decided to move to the city when I was about 10 years old. I can't remember my first visit like it was yesterday but I can recall the feeling in my stomach. It has probably been the only thing in my life I have been sure of for that long! I am typically a very indecisive person except when it comes to New York City. 

When I was 10
 I did not understand how the economy worked and truthfully most people still don't. It is like a h
uge equation with a million different variables changing by the moment. So, I give up trying to analyze why we have a "bad" economy. All the theories in the world are not going to make it easier for me to get job I want. 

Caroline's Job search and experience thus far.... 

I moved here knowing I had wor
k as a nanny, which I am still currently doing on occasion. Then, I did some
 production assistant work on TV shows; Rescue Me
, The Unusuals, Movie and a Makeover and Lights Out. Somewhere during that time I tried to be a bartender... I had a three month internship at a company called TheKnot.com where I assisted 3 PR girls. I would organize props for the TV segments, go shopping!!, update celebrity baby/wedding databases and other small daily task's. It was a great internship! 
My first week we held a baby shower in a loft where we drank banana coladas... and this is why they are on a hiring freeze. The best jobs are hard to find. 
Now, I still nanny and plan to start assisting Hava Beller, a women who makes documentaries. I also have a job interview on Wednesday for a position at an internet based company. This position is not exactly what I had in mind when moving to a city filled with art galleries, fashion houses and music venues, but should be good experience. Plus, this one might actually pay me more than a lunch stipend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers